as a dry rub or a marinade.
- 1 (0.75 oz.) packet Amazing Taste seasoning for beef
- 1 - 2 T. vegetable oil
- 2 pound eye of round roast, visible fat removed
- 3 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 4 carrots, cut on an angle
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- Salt, coarsely ground black pepper, dried minced garlic, and dried oregano, to taste
- 1 (0.87 oz.) package brown gravy mix
- 1-1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can Italian diced tomatoes
- 6 medium red potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
Reduce the heat to medium-high. Add the celery, carrots, onions, and green bell pepper to the pan. Sprinkle with salt, black pepper, dried minced garlic, and oregano. Let cook for about 5 minutes, then stir and let cook again for 5 more minutes or so. (Not much stirring involved and no need to add any oil; the veggies release their juices when sprinkled with salt so there's just the right amount of moisture to begin softening the veggies. Plus they pick up the flavor of the seared meat.)
Make a well in the middle of the pan (move the veggies to the side) and return the roast to the center of the pan, along with any accumulated juices.
Pour the gravy mix into a 2-cup measuring cup. Add one cup water, then stir with a fork to get out the lumps. Pour this over the meat and veggies, letting some run under the meat, then add the diced tomatoes, along with 1/4 cup water. (I put the water in the can of diced tomatoes and swirled it around to pick up all the remaining tomato bits and juices from the can.) Stir.
Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and let
cook for 2 hours or so, stirring the veggies and turning the meat occasionally.
About 20 minutes before the roast is done, cook the potatoes in salted boiling water in a separate saucepan.
Remove the meat from the pan and let it rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve the veggies and potatoes on the side, topped with gravy. I also sauteed some baby bella mushrooms to go with my dinner. This pot roast was AMAZING!!
Visit the Amazing Taste website to find out more about their seasonings, to locate a store near you that carries the packets, and for lots
of delicious recipes.
Foodie Giveaway is having an Amazing Taste giveaway this week until Thursday, June 18th. Go on over and enter for your chance to win.